There is a huge amount of history linked to the village of Bramfield. The centuries old Queen’s Head pub is located centrally in the village with the picturesque church of St. Andrew standing impressive behind it on the Walpole Road.
The 14th century church has a distinctive, separate flint-built round tower, that is over 40- feet tall with a wall thickness of over 4 feet. It houses five bells, three of which were cast in 1440. It is thought that the tower has always stood alone as there is no evidence to the contrary.
The atmospheric interior of St. Andrew’s is also notable with its fine rood screen and wall paintings. There is also a beautiful memorial to Arthur Coke and with wife Elizabeth, together with a plaque that mentions Hubert Miles Gladwyn Jebb, 1st baron Gladwyn of Bramfield, a diplomat and Secretary-General of the United Nations on its formation in 1945. Notable also for the informative ledger stone of Bridgett Applewhaite, telling the sad story of her marriage which she underwent "with considerable patience".
On the opposite side of the road from the church is a “crinkle-crankle” wall that forms part of the boundary of Bramfield Hall, which dates from the 16th century. Major alterations were carried out during the 18th century and the Hall was home to the Rabett family for many years.
On the main A144 high street, adjacent to the pub, you will find a delightful thatched bus stop and the village sign. Further along the road, there is the United Reform Church, built in 1841. There are a number of businesses trading and operating from this lovely Suffolk village, including the Bramfield Garage, Clarke’s the Butchers and the North Manor Equestrian Centre.
A regular “E-Newsletter” goes out (“blind copy”) to 80+ residents and friends of Bramfield, with updates on forthcoming events and general information and news in the Bramfield and Thorington Parish. If you would like to be added to the list of subscribers, please email
Andrew Niven (Andrew.Niven1@btinternet.com)
There are no events to display...
Sir Simon and Lady Robey very kindly let the Halesworth Community Nursing Care Fund organise an open day at their wonderful garden at Bramfield Hall on the Sunday the 1st July, in aid of the Fund.
BRAMFIELD CHURCH FETE